Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Watermelon Salad

I love salad, and I'm grateful to warm--or hot!--summer weather, so no one here expects me to turn on any heat whatsoever! Ha! I'm also grateful to Mother Nature for giving us lots of fun fruits to mix with various vegetables! I try to do seasonal fruits, even though I know they're available year-round; it seems like someone somewhere is in the middle of summer at all times! Ha!

This is quick, if you use seedless watermelon. I sometimes choose to pick out seeds, because I think the seeded watermelons are better than the seedless! They're more flavorful and sweeter. BUT seedless ones work, too.

The chili powder adds extra flavor, which I also prefer. Chelsea likes less chili powder and a bit more salt. So, maybe I need to add salt, pepper, and chili powder shakers to my table next time!

Salad:
1 small seedless watermelon, cut into bite sized pieces, or melon "balled."
1 small jicama, diced
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
3 green onions, thinly sliced
5 oz bag of mixed field greens
Opt.: 1 small avocado, diced


Dressing:
1/3 c. lime juice
1/2 c. canola oil (or some other mild oil--safflower, for instance!)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp agave nectar, or to taste (this depends on how tart your limes are!)

Mix watermelon, jicama, cilantro and green onions. Add dressing, and toss to coat.

To serve:
Place a bed of mixed greens onto four plates, and spoon the salad mixture over. Spoon the rest of the dressing over the watermelon salad, so the lettuce below will have some, too! Top with avocado pieces, if you're using them. Sprinkle a little chili powder over the top, if you want some extra zip!

PHOTO COURTESY OF CHELSEA!!! THANK YOU, CHELSEA!!!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! (Come on. You know you want to. Everybody's doing it.)