Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Greens, Cannelini Beans, and Stuff

Hi!

I was absolutely NOT in a cooking mood last night, and my cupboard stood me in good stead!  Ha!

We liked this so much that I wrote it down, and I thought I'd share it here, too!

I am still cleaning out parents' boxes, so I still open a box, look inside, and if I feel like I'll start a crying jag, I close it and shred something, instead.  I appreciate the time "off," and I appreciate being able to return to this.  Sometimes, the fact of cooking saved my sanity!  I am very grateful for that!!  I hope you enjoy this very easy main-dish recipe!!  Marlyle


Greens, Cannelini Beans, and Stuff

1 Tbs. coconut oil or butter
1 large onion or leek, quartered and thinly sliced
2 cloves minced garlic
12-16 oz. bitter greens, rinsed and drained  (I used a mix of kale and Romanesco.  And if I didn't have fresh stuff, I would use frozen, chopped spinach.)  Chop into fairly large pieces.
1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes  (If I'd had ripe tomatoes, I'd have used fresh, I think.  2 lbs.?)
16 oz. can large white beans--cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
1/3-1/2 cup raisins, currants, cranberries (dried, sweetened), chopped dried figs, or any other dried fruit    you like.
Salt and pepper to taste


Melt the coconut oil, or butter, in a large skillet.  Add the onion/leek, and sauté until wilted, or about 5 or 6 minutes.  Add the garlic, and saute until soft and fragrant, another 2 minutes, or so.  Add the chopped greens, and cook until wilted (or melted, in the case of frozen!  Ha!)

Add the tomatoes, beans, and fruit.  Cook, covered, on low heat until the fruit is softened and swollen.  Add water if you need to.

Steve liked a little Parmesan sprinkled across it; I liked it plain.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! (Come on. You know you want to. Everybody's doing it.)