Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Veggie Dressing

One of my favorite quick meals is a Boca burger and a side of vegetables, all microwaved.  I really like vegetables!  I like them steamed, baked, boiled, etc., and without anything on them!  I just LIKE them!

Unfortunately, not everyone agrees with me.  Ha!  And my husband and daughters were all in agreement:  vegetables were "yuckie!"  I used to let them dip everything in mayonnaise, so they'd eat vegetables!  I didn't care that I was developing a bad habit; I figured they could deal with that when they got older!  And in the meantime, they'd at least have a few vitamins and minerals!

It finally occurred to me to make a "dressing," like I used for salad.  Even I think that lettuce needs dressing!  Ha!

So, here is my vegetable "dressing," which we all could eat with a spoon and no vegetables!  Ha!

Vegetable Dressing

1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
*1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
2 Tbs. water
**1 c. olive oil
**1 c. canola oil

In a 2 cup container with a lid, combine salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme leaves, and water.  Shake, or let it sit for a few minutes and then shake, until the salt and the powdered stuff are dissolved.  Add the oils, and shake to combine.  (I like the combination of oils, because I think olive oil has a sharp taste.  If you love olive oil, just use that!  Or just use canola oil for a stronger herb taste!)  Refrigerate.  To use, shake well and pour it on!

*I've also used oregano leaves, rosemary leaves, and other herbs.  I like thyme best; it seems to go well with all the vegetables I've tried.  (Oregano, for instance, makes green beans taste spoiled to me!  Ha!)

**If you're using a 2-cup container that leaves no room for extra stuff, then just add oil until it's full.  I use a 16-oz. container that used to hold honey.  It works great, because I have to squeeze it out, and I have less of a tendency to just keep pouring!  Ha!  

In the above "meal," I feed Steve a piece of already-cooked chicken (like Tyson's mesquite chicken available at Costco) and vegetables with this dressing, and he's a happy camper.  You should understand that his favorite meal is a Hungry Man Fried Chicken dinner!  Mmm--grease and salt!!!  Ha!

This dressing is also great on Boca burgers, chicken pieces, fish, etc.  It's just good!  Since there's no acid component, it's not so great on salad!  Ha!

I hope you enjoy it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! (Come on. You know you want to. Everybody's doing it.)